Make Pancake you master making your own pancakes from scratch! We’ve come up with our easiest recipes to show you how to make pancakes with no special kit or cooking skills. You just need a quick trip.
Step 1: The pancake batter
If you’re the kind of person who likes a little written reassurance, here are our foolproof pancake recipes for beginners.
This five-star fluffy pancake recipe is the most popular recipe Food, so you know you can trust it. Plus it’s easily adapted to include your favorite fruits and flavorings.
If you want the fun of flipping your pancakes you need to go traditional. This fool-proof recipe will ensure you get them just right, even if you’ve never cooked pancakes before.
Mary Berry’s drop scones are a sturdy base for extra cream and fruit. Their dinky proportions are great for children, or anyone who likes to try lots of different toppings.
Step 2: The toppings
Whether it’s sweet or savoury, we’ve got the easiest ways to accessorise your pancakes.Whether you want to dress your pancakes from the inside with different flours or flavours, or you just want to a great topping on the 3rd pancake for a bit of variety, try these easy pancake ideas. Or try our next-level pancake ideas.
- The classic lemon and sugar pancake recipe
- Buckwheat pancakes with blueberries and yoghurt
- Scotch pancakes with berries, Greek yoghurt and maple syrup
- Pineapple upside-down pancakes
- Buttermilk pancakes with lashings of maple syrup and creme fraiche
- Salted caramel sauce, sliced banana and chopped nuts
- Chocolate chip pancakes with ice cream
- Orange zest, honey and cinnamon
- Banana pancakes with extra bananas
- Frozen berries and melted white chocolate
Need a free-from pancake mixture?
No matter what your dietary requirements are, there’s a pancake for you.
- Vegan pancake recipes. Traditional pancakes only have three ingredients (flour, milk and eggs), so quite a challenge for vegans. Happily, there are plenty of options, whether you’re after American vegan pancakes or a traditional vegan flat pancake. Find out how easy it is to make a vegan pancake mix that is ready to whip up first thing in the morning.
- Gluten-free pancake recipes. A mix of rice flour and tapioca flour works a treat in these traditional gluten-free pancakes, but if you want something with a little lift these buckwheat pancakes are not to be missed.
- Egg-free pancake recipes. Egg provides texture as well as flavour in pancakes. Alternatives, such as mashed banana, work well in both fluffy eggless pancakes and flat pancakes. All vegan pancake recipes are suitable, but you can use dairy products instead of any alternative milks or oils.
- Dairy-free pancakes. If you need to avoid dairy, you can do a straight swap of cow’s milk for the dairy-free milk of your choice and simply fry the pancakes in oil, rather than butter.
- Put the flour and salt into a large bowl, make a well in the centre and pour in the milk and eggs. Give the liquid mixture a quick whisk before incorporating the flour. Continue to whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Now add 1 tbsp vegetable oil and whisk thoroughly.
- Take a crepe pan, or large pan, dip some kitchen paper in the oil and carefully wipe the inside of the pan. The pan over a medium for 1 minute.
- Add just under a ladleful of batter to the pan and immediately start swirling it round the pan to get a nice even layer.
- Cook the pancake for 30–40 seconds. Use a palette to lift the pancake carefully to look at the underside to check it is golden brown before turning over. Cook the other side for approximately 30–40 seconds and transfer to a serving plate.